RESP Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to be a member of ACEC?
Yes, you must be a member and the energy efficiency improvement must be located at the property served by ACEC.

What qualifies for this loan?
Loan can be used for energy efficiency projects/replacements, eligible work includes:

  • Lighting improvements
  • Building Envelope Improvements
  • HVAC Systems
  • Water Heaters
  • Motors
  • Energy Efficient Appliance Upgrades
  • On or Off Grid Renewable Energy Systems
  • Compressed Air Systems
  • Energy Audits
  • Energy Storage Devices
  • Irrigation or Water and Waste Disposal System Efficiency Improvements
  • Boilers, Dryers, Heaters and process related equipment
  • Other activities and investments directly related to energy efficiency

Is a credit check required?
Yes, the full loan application packet must be completed, and the required information returned, at that time a credit check will be executed.

Do I need to pay anything up front?
Yes, 5% of the loan amount is due at the time of the loan closing.

Will my loan payment be part of my electric bill?
No, your loan payment will be a separate statement you will receive each month.

Do I need to set my loan payments up on autopay?
Yes, your loan payment must be set up on autopay for this program.

Do I choose my own contractor or does ACEC choose contractor?
You choose your own contractor; contractor must meet the following requirements:

  1. Current Dwelling Contractor Qualifier certification (DCQ) from the Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS)
  2. Currently licensed and insured in the State of Wisconsin
  3. Carry the appropriate state license or national accreditation for the installed measure (i.e. Master Plumber, Master Electrician, etc.)
  4. Lead certification, as needed
  5. Asbestos certification, as needed

Why is an energy audit required?
An energy audit is required prior to building envelope improvements to validate the need for the improvement.  A second audit must be performed after the work is completed to validate the energy efficiencies achieved by the improvement.  ACEC is required to report the savings to the USDA.

What is a building envelope improvement?
The term building envelope refers to anything such as insulation and windows.  This is different than replacing equipment where the energy efficiency can be measured by comparing the name plate ratings of the equipment.